What is Using components known vulnerabilities ?
when the components such as libraries and frameworks used within the app almost always execute with full privileges. If a vulnerable component is exploited, it makes the hacker’s job easier to cause a serious data loss or server takeover.
Exploitability of the risk is average, Attacker needs to identify the weak part through scanning or manual analysis.
But the risk is widely spread, Many application has these issues on the grounds that most development teams don’t concentrate on guaranteeing their parts/libraries are breakthrough.
Most of the time, the developers don’t know every one of the parts they are utilizing, it doesn’t mind their formats.
A full range of weaknesses is possible, including injection, broken access control, XSS, etc. The impact could range from minimal to complete.
Now the attacker and the webserver, the attacker tries to exploit a vulnerable component on the server, a Vulnerable component is nothing but a product or Library which could be at risk.
- In this scenario, the attacker tries to make a request to the website, and let’s assume this request loads a page which has the vulnerability.
- The website responds to the request which also discloses the vulnerable components.
- Once the attacker finds the vulnerable components and version, then he will go to Internet and searches for known vulnerabilities.
- Regardless it is easy to find risks associated with vulnerable components on the web, so the attackers get information on how this risk might be exploited.
- Then attacker so goes and launches the attack with the website.
How to Prevent
- Identify Components and versions.
- Components that are used unplanned.
- Monitor CVEs impacting those components.
- Keep Components updated.
- Regularly Monitor new releases.
If you have any doubts feel free to ping me in instagram.(__fazalurrahman__)